• 500g – semolina
• 4 medium-sized – Onions
• 10 – Green chillies
• 2 small – Tomatoes
• 2 to 3 tbsp – gram dal
• 5 to 6 tbsp – oil for sauteing the semolina
• 12 to 14 tbsp – oil for sauteing the Onions
• 2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 10 to 12 – Cashew nuts
• a few Curry leaves
• 4 to 5 glass – water
• 1.5 Lemons – to be made into Lemon juice
• 3 to 4 tbsp – Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
• salt to taste
- Chop the onions, green chillies and tomatoes finely.
- Soak the gram dal for half-an-hour.
- Saute the semolina in a separate vessel in 5-6 tbsp of oil on a very low flame.
- Heat about 12-14 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel.
- Put in the mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, add onions, green chillies, cashew nuts, curry leaves and gram dal.
- Fry till the onions are light pink in colour.
- Add the tomatoes.
- After a couple of minutes put in the water and let it boil.
- Once the gram dal is a little tender, add the roasted semolina and salt, stirring all the while till the semolina absorbs the water and is fairly dry.
- Remove from the flame and mix it with lemon juice.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja