• 1/2 kg – mathanga (yellow pumpkin)
• 1 cup – Toor Dal
• 3 tsp – chilli powder
• A little – Turmeric powder
• A small lime-sized Tamarind
• 3-4 – pearl onions, cut into fine pieces
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• A few Fenugreek seeds
• A few Curry leaves
• 3-4 – whole Red Chillies
• 3 tsps – oil for seasoning
- Wash and cook toor dal in 2 cups of water.
- Peel the mathanga and cut into pieces. Add them to the cooked toor dal along with chilli and turmeric powder. Cook well.
- Mix tamarind in 1 cup of water and squeeze and take out juice.
- Pour the tamarind juice into the cooked dal and mathanga, and boil till you get desired consistency (not too thick).
- In a kadai, pour oil and add mustard, fenugreek seeds and let them splutter. Then add curry leaves, onions, red chillies.
- Let the onion turn brown in colour. Then pour this on the curry and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi