• 1 cup – black gram (Urad) Dal
• 1 tsp – black pepper corns, crushed
• 2 tbsp – Coconut pieces, finely chopped (optional)
• salt to taste
• oil to fry
- Soak the Dal in water for 2 hours. Drain and grind with salt to a fluffy batter, using just a sprinkling of water.
- Add pepper and optional coconut.
- Heat oil for deep-frying, till it is moderately hot.
- Take a piece of plastic sheet and grease it lightly with oil.
- Place about 3 tbsp of the Vadai mixture on it.
- Flatten to a disc, about 1/2 cm thick.
- Make a depression in the centre with your forefinger.
- Transfer it carefully into the oil.
- Shape 3 or 4 more Vadas and drop into the oil.
- Fry on moderate heat till the Vadas are cooked and golden brown.
- Well-made medu Vadas are soft and spongy with a thin crisp skin.