• 2 cups – Rice
• 1 – medium-sized bunch of Methi leaves (washed and finely chopped)
• 5 to 6 tbsp – oil
• 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 1 – big Tomato (finely chopped)
• 2 to 3 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 2.5 tsp – coriander powder
• 3/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 3 1/4 cups – water
• salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a dekchi and add the cumin seeds.
- When they splutter, add the methi leaves and saute for 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Add the tomatoes and the powdered masalas and fry till the tomatoes are soft and the oil separates.
- Add the rice, salt and water to it.
- Mix it well. Cook on a high flame till it boils.
- Simmer. Mix it gently a couple of times at regular intervals.
- Cook till the rice is done.
- Serve it hot with any raita.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja