Authentic Indo-Mexican rice preparation
1 cup long grain rice or basmati rice
1/4 cup chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 jalapeno chilies
4 green cherry tomatoes or red cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup peas
2 sprigs cilantro or fresh coriander, chopped
2 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice thoroughly with water and soak for 15 minutes.
2. Drain and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet or heavy bottomed pan. Add onions and garlic and fry until transparent.
4. Add rice and fry for 5 minutes.
5. Blend together jalapenos, tomatoes with 1/4 cup of water.
6. Add this puree into the fried rice and fry until the water dries off.
7. Add 1 cup water, salt, peas, and cilantro or coriander.
8. Cook over medium heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and rice is cooked, for about 15-16 minutes.
9. Now add lime juice and mix gently. Cover the pan and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes.
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes