• 500g – split Urad Dal with husk
• Oil to deep fry
• 1 tsp – cumin/jeera
• 10 black pepper, crushed roughly if desired
- Soak dal for 3 hours, remove husk (not completely),
- Drain water completely and prepare a firm coarse paste along with salt.
- Add pepper and jeera and mix well.
- Make thin vada on a plastic sheet/or a clean wet cloth, put a hole in the centre and deep fry the vada on medium heat till it turns golden brown.
- Place them on a paper napkin to remove extra oil, if any (usually this vada does not absorb oil as the dough is a firm coarse paste).
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra