• 1 cup – Rice
• 1 handful – Urad Dal
• 1 handful – Toor Dal
• 1 handful – Chana dal
• 1 pinch – Asafoetida
• 15-20 – Curry leaves
• Pepper (optional)
• Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in water for an hour.
- Soak the dals in water for half an hour.
- Grind both rice and the dals together to make a thick batter.
- The batter has to be of coarse consistency.
- If pepper is being used, grind it with the dal.
- Add asafoetida and salt and finely chopped curry leaves.
- When ready to cook the adais, add a little water if required.
- Heat a pan and spread a little oil.
- Take some batter with a serving spoon and spread on the tava like a dosa.
- Add half a spoon of oil and turn the adai when its golden brown and crisp.
- Cook on the other side similarly and serve hot with jaggery, sambar or coconut chutney.
Recipe courtesy of Srividhya Hariharan