• 1 cup – yellow moong daal
• 1 cup – broccoli, raw and cut into mid to large-sized florets
• 4 to 5 – green chillies, slit lengthwise
• 1 inch piece – Ginger (soaked for 15 minutes and grated
• 2 – pepper Corn whole pieces
• 1 – Bay Leaf
• 1 tsp – paanch phoron (mix of 5 spices) or Cumin seeds
• 1/4 tsp – Lemon juice extracted
• 1 tsp – Sugar
• Salt to taste
• 1 tsp – Ghee or oil
- Roast the yellow moong dal first in pressure cooker over low to medium heat, stirring continuously for 2-3 mins, till you get a nice aroma. Mix the pepper corns and bay leaves and stir-fry the daal for another minute. Add 3-4 cups of water (depending on the consistency you want) and pressure cook. Do not over-cook or over boil the daal (1-2 whistles is enough).
- Open the pressure cooker lid, add green chillies, grated ginger, sugar and salt and bring to a quick boil.
- Now lower the heat, add the raw cut broccoli, mix well and let the daal simmer for 2-3 mins, covering the cooker with the lid.
- In another pan, heat ghee and add paanch phoron or cumin seeds, stir and let it splutter. Then add this to the dal.
- Mix the daal well and finally sprinkle the lemon juice, then simmer for 1 minute.
- This should be served hot and can be had with rotis, parathas, rice or just served as a soup.