• Rice – 1 cup
• Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
• 4 to 5 – Curry leaves
• 2-3 – Dried red chillies (adjust this according to taste)
• 1 tbsp – Maharashtra black masala or goda masala (use Garam Masala if this is not available)
• A pinch – Asafoetida
• 1/2 tbsp – Turmeric powder
• 2 tbsp – ground cumin and desiccated Coconut powder
• 2 tbsp – oil
• Salt and Sugar – to taste
• Freshly grated Coconut and coriander for garnishing
- Clean and wash the rice and dal and mix them. Soak and drain the dal and rice mixture and keep for about 15 minutes.
- Heat oil, add curry leaves and dried red chillies and asafoetida.
- Add the soaked and drained rice and dal mixture and add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add 3 cups of hot water and mix well.
- Now add the black masala, ground cumin and desiccated coconut powder, salt and sugar and mix well.
- Cook in pressure cooker/rice cooker till done.
- Garnish with freshly grated coconut and coriander.
- Serve hot with ghee, papads or tomato saar.
Recipe courtesy of Usha Joshi