• 500 gm Moong dal (green)
• 500 gm Sugar
• 500 gm Ghee
• Saffron soaked in a little Milk
• elaichi powder
• water about 250 ml.
- Soak the dal for 5-6 hours.
- Wash and remove the skins well.
- Grind the dal fine using as little water as possible.
- Put sugar and water in a pan and put to boil.
- Once sugar dissolves, add a few tbsps of milk.
- As the syrup boils the scum will rise. Remove with a strainer.
- Further boil till the syrup become sticky between the fingers.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy kadai and add dal. Keep stirring rigorously to avoid burning.
- Once the dal stops sticking to the vessel, stir gradually till golden brown, and ghee begins to separate.
- Pour the hot syrup, add elaichi and dissolved saffron.
- Stir very carefully and cook slowly till all water is absorbed.
- Decorate with chopped dry fruit.
- Serve hot especially on a cold day.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi