• 250 g – tender lotus stems, peeled and sliced
• 1.5 cup – Rice flour
• 1 tbsp – plain flour
• 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 1 tsp – red chilli, crushed
• 1 tbsp – hot oil
• To deep fry – oil
• To taste – salt
- Sprinkle salt over the sliced stems, toss and keep aside for 15 mins.
- Mix both the flours in a large bowl.
- Add cumin seeds, chillies, salt and mix.
- Add enough water, to make a batter thick enough, to coat the back of a spoon.
- Heat oil to deep fry.
- Dip one slice of stem, at a time, into the batter.
- Let into the hot oil gently.
- Repeat till there are enough to fry in one batch.
- Fry on medium heat, till golden and crisp on one side.
- Flip gently and repeat for other side.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot and crisp.
- If desired, sprinkle some pepper powder or chat masala or sauce over fritters.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering