• List A:
• 340 g – wet Rice flour or Rice flour
• 225 g – Sago flour
• 1/4 tsp – salt
• 855 ml (1.5 Coconut) – Coconut Milk
• List B:
• 425 ml – water
• 450 g – Sugar
• 8 – screw pine leaves (or 1 tsp vanilla essence)
• A pinch – red food colour
- Mix ingredients in list A, till smooth. Set aside.
- Boil ingredients in list B, till sugar dissolves, to make the syrup.
- Leave the syrup to thicken a bit, then strain.
- Pour the hot boiled syrup gradually into the flour mixture, stirring all the time, till it is well blended.
- Divide the batter into two portions.
- Set aside one portion (uncoloured) and add red colour to the other portion.
- Grease a round or square tin.
- Place it in a steamer and pour 140 ml of uncoloured batter into the tin.
- Steam for 6-8 mins.
- Then pour the red batter and steam for 6-8 mins.
- Keep alternating the batters and steam the layers till mixture is used up.
- Cool the cake completely before cutting and serving.
Recipe courtesy of Sudha Mohan