• Oats (ready to cook) – 1 cup
• Flax seeds – 25 gms
• Cooked Rice (optional) – 1/2 cup
• Par boiled Rice – 1 cup
• Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
• Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
• Salt – 2 tsp
• Oil – 2 tbsp
• Spinach (wash and chopped) – 50 gms
• Ginger (chopped) – 10 gms
- Preparation time: 4 hours for soaking, 12 hours for fermentation and 15 mins of cooking.
- Soak dal and par boiled rice (with fenugreek seeds) in a separate container for 4 hrs.
- Grind the urad dal and rice (with cooked rice) separately, making sure the paste is air light and fluffy.
- Mix together.
- Soak oats for 10 minutes, grind with half of the flax seeds and mix with the batter.
- Before making the idlis, add salt to the batter, grease the idly tray with little oil.
- pour the batter on the mould, sprinkle remaining flax seeds.
- Steam for 10 mins.
- Serve with gun powder or a light sambhar. (avoid coconut chuney as it is high in fats).
- Can add chopped spinach or ginger for variation.
- This special Breakfast recipe for Diabetes is by expert Chef Apoorv Bhatt, Corporate Chef at Berggruen Hotel
Recipe courtesy of Chef Apoorv Bhatt