• 3 cups – Rice powder
• 4 cups – Milk
• 3/4 – Coconut grated
• 1 tsp – Yeast or a small glass of toddy
• Sugar and salt as required
- Add yeast or toddy to the rice powder and sufficient water. Let it ferment overnight.
- In the morning, add milk, sugar, salt and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a cast iron kadai or chatti, grease its surface evenly with a little oil if required.
- Pour one small round ladle full of mixture into the kadai and rotate it manually using gloves, so that the mixture spreads evenly on the surface of the kadai.
- Then cover it with a lid and cook till the edges of the appam turns light brown.
- Remove the appam from the kadai.
- Serve hot with stew or milk.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi