• 1 cup – Toor Dal
• 2-3 bunches – Palak
• 2 – ripe red Tomatoes
• 8 Cloves – Garlic
• A pinch of Turmeric
• Salt to taste
• For the bagar (tadka):
• 1-2 tsp – oil or Ghee
• Mustard Seeds (variation, use zeera seeds)
• 2 – Red Chillies dry, broken into two
• 6-8 Cloves – Garlic
- Clean the palak well, chop off the roots and run palak in water till all the mud is cleared out.
- Pressure cook the dal with 1.5 times the quantity of water.
- Add a pinch of turmeric, garlic and the tomatoes to the dal while it is cooking.
- Once the dal is done. Open the cooker, mash the dal along with the palak, garlic and tomatoes (all the contents in the cooker).
- In another vessel, put in the oil/ghee, allow the jeera/mustard seeds to splutter, add a pinch of hing, the garlic cloves and the red chillies.
- Once the garlic pods turn reddish, add the dal contents to the bagar, add salt and mix.
Recipe courtesy of Poonam