• 1 cup – kadle bele/ Channa dal.
• 1-1.5 cup – jaggery.
• 2 cups – fresh grated Coconut or thick Coconut milk.
• 3/4-1 tsp – rava or raw rice.
• 1 tsp – ghee.
• 1 tsp – elaichi powder.
• 1-2 tsp – raisins.
• 1-2 tsp – cashews.
- Pressure cook channa dal in water and keep aside.
- Dry roast the rava until the raw smell disappears and add it to the cooked channa dal (if you are using raw rice, dry roast it and grind it to a smooth powder and then add to the dal. This gives thickness to the payasam).
- Add thick coconut milk to the above mixture and boil (if you are using grated coconut, grind the coconut with water to a smooth paste and then boil with the mixture).
- Add extra water if required. Stir regularly.
- Add jaggery and elaichi powder.
- Roast raisins and cashews in 1 tsp ghee and add to payasam.
- Mix well and let it boil for some more time.
- Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- Serve hot or cold, as desired.