• 1 cup – moong dal.
• 6 – green chillies, slit sideways.
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook the dal and set it aside. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water and extract the juice. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsps oil, add all the ingredients for tempering. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the fenugreek seeds, after they turn slight brown, add the tomatoes and green chillies and saute for 2 mins. Then add the tamarind juice, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt. Simmer till the raw smell of the tamarind disappears.
- Add the cooked dal. Simmer till everything blends well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or chapattis.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi