• 1/2 cup – urad dal, soaked in water overnight
• 1 cup – white rice, soaked in water overnight
• Salt as per taste
• 1 to 2 tsp – oil
- Using enough water, grind the urad dal to a smooth, thick paste.
- Add rice into the blender, add water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Pour into a large container and ferment 8-10 hours.
- The batter will rise.
- Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds and pour 2-3 spoons of the batter into each one of them.
- Steam the idlis in a cooker for about 15 minutes, without the weight.
- Remove stand from cooker and cool for a minute or two.
- Remove the idlis and serve hot with chutney or sambhar.