• Long grain Rice – 1 cup
• Water – 2 cups
• Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
• Bay Leaf – 1
• Cinnamon sticks – 2, two inches each
• Black Cardamom – 1
• Ghee – 1/2 tbsp
• Salt to taste
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak in water for half an hour.
- Drain thoroughly.
- In a pan, heat ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds, bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon.
- When cumin seeds sizzle, add the rice.
- Add salt to taste.
- Stir till ghee coats every grain of rice and it looks glossy.
- Add water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir once.
- Reduce heat to minimum and cover the pan with a lid.
- Leave a little gap, otherwise water will boil over.
- Rice will be done when holes appear on the surface and water has been completely absorbed.
- Fork the rice out onto a serving dish.
- This will separate each grain out.
- Serve hot with any curry.
Recipe courtesy of Laxmi