• Moong dal – 3/4 cup.
• Channa dal – 1 tbsp.
• Rice – 2 tbsp.
• (Make sure that these 3 items are made up of 1 cup).
• Jaggery – 2 cups.
• Ghee – 1 tbsp.
• Coconut scrapings – 1 (for making Coconut milk).
• Kaju – 1 tbsp.
• Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp.
- For coconut milk:
- First take all the scrapings of one coconut and grind it with a little water.
- Then remove the milk by squeezing the ground coconut and keep aside.
- Remove coconut milk with the same scrapings two more times, keeping each extraction separately.
- Roast moong dal and channa dal to pinkish colour.
- Put the dals and the rice in a cooker and along with the third coconut milk, ordinary milk and water and cook for 3 whistles (for 1 cup of dal and rice, 3.5 cups of coconut milk, milk and water should be added).
- After it is cooked, mash them lightly and add the second milk and mix well.
- In a kadai, add jaggery and 1/2 cup a water and melt the jaggery.
- As soon as it melts, add the cooked dals. When it comes to a boil, add the first milk and put off the gas immediately.
- For garnishing, roast kaju and coconut pieces in ghee and add to the kheer.
Recipe courtesy of Vidya