• 50 g – Poppy Seeds
• 100 g – Almonds
• 14 – green Cardamoms
• 3 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 2 tbsp – Black Peppercorns
• 20 to 25 strands – Saffron
• 750 ml – Milk (approx. 3 to 4 glasses)
• 10-12 tbsp – powdered Sugar
- Soak the poppy seeds for 6 to 8 hours.
- Soak the almonds for 15-20 mins.
- Wash the poppy seeds well, letting the dirt settle at the bottom.
- Grind the poppy seeds, almonds, cardamoms, cumin seeds, peppercorns and saffron to a fine paste.
- Add little water while grinding.
- The thandai masala is ready.
- To make thandai:
- For making 3 glasses of thandai, place 4 tbsps of the masala in a fine muslin cloth and pour cold milk, through the muslin cloth (you will have to take the help of another person while straining).
- Strain with your fingers, so that the masala blends well with the milk.
- Add 3 to 4 tsp of sugar into each glass of thandai and mix well.
- Serve cold.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja