• 1/2 kg – puffed rice.
• Peanuts, a handful.
• 1/2 tsp – Red Chilli powder.
• Turmeric powder, a pinch.
• Salt to taste.
• 1 tsp – oil.
• 1 tsp – Mustard seeds.
• 10-20 Curry leaves.
• 1 Onion – cut in small pieces.
• 1 Tomato – cut in small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Allow them to splutter and then add the curry leaves. Fry for a minute or so till crisp.
- Add peanuts till they are roasted.
- Quickly add chilli powder and turmeric powder, salt to taste (do not overdo on salt).
- Add the puffed rice and give it all a good toss in the pan till the puffed rice is crisp and done.
- The whole process should not take more than a minute or two.
- Take care not to burn the puffed rice. Throw in some chopped onions, tomatoes, grated carrots and chopped coriander leaves, squeeze lime juice to the puffed rice mixture, and you have an instant bhel, ready to eat. Even without chutneys it is delicious.
Recipe courtesy of vidya