• 1/2 cup – Pumpkin
• 1/2 cup – coconut, grated or slivered
• 5-6 Dried red chillies (or to taste)
• 1/4 Lime sized piece -tamarind
• 10 Curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp – Asafoetida powder
• 2 tsp – Urad Dal
• 2tsp – Channa dal
• 2 tsp – oil
• salt to taste
• 1/4 cup – water as required (approx)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a small pan and stir-fry the sliced pumpkin for 2-3 minutes, till the slices start to soften. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the second tsp of oil in the same pan and fry the red chillies, channa dal, urad dal and curry leaves till the dal turns golden.
- Remove the chillies and set aside.
- Grind the fried chillies, coconut, tamarind, asafoetida powder and pumpkin together, using only as much water as required to make thick but finely ground mixture.
- When all the ingredients are ground up properly, add the rest of the tempering along with salt to taste and grind for another 20 seconds, so that the dal are shredded but not completely amalgamated.
- Serve as a side dish with idli, dosa, chapattis, or eat it mixed with ghee and rice with papad.
- Recipe courtesy: Jaisruchi
Recipe courtesy of Jaishree S