• Ginger – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
• Tamarind – medium sized ball
• Jaggery -1.5 tbsp
• Red Chillies – 3 (add more if you want it spicier)
• Curry leaves – 8
• Oil – 2.5 tsp
• Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
• Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
• Chana dal -1/2 tsp
• Asafoetida – a pinch
• Salt as per taste
- Take a pan, heat 1 tsp oil in it, add ginger pieces and fry on medium flame for 3-4 minutes, until raw smell goes.
- Then add red chillies, fry for 1 minute and cool.
- Grind ginger, tamarind, red chillies, jaggery and salt to a fine paste.
- Take a pan, add oil and when it is heated, add mustard seeds.
- When they splutter, add urad dal, chana dal, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- After urad and chana dal turn light brown, add this to the paste and mix well. Check the seasoning.
- Serve with idlis, vadas, dosas, pongal or parathas.
Recipe courtesy of Naganaresh