• 2 cups – peanuts.
• 1/2 tbsp – Red Chilli powder.
• 1/2 tbsp – salt.
• 1 tsp – cumin seeds.
• 2 tsp – sugar.
• 2-3 pinch asafoetida.
- Roast peanuts lightly. Rub the nuts with a wad of cloth when a bit cooled.
- This will remove the thin covering easily.
- Blow out the skins, sieve with a large-holed sieve if any skins are leftover.
- Put all the ingredients, with the nuts, in a dry grinder. Grind very coarsely.
- Transfer the contents to a mortar and pestle.
- Pound till the oil comes off and can be felt by fingers.
- Serve dry with rice. Or mix into some plain yogurt to make a thick chutney.
- This may be served with snacks like vadas or bhajias.
- Store in a clean dry jar.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering