• 1.2 litre – Milk
• 2 tbsp – Lemon juice
• 350 g – Sugar
• 2.25 litre – water
• 2 tsp – semolina
• 1 tsp – kewra or rose water
- Boil the milk, add lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Leave for 2 minutes to separate.
- Strain through a muslin cloth and reserve the whey for cooking lentils or vegetables.
- Rinse the curd or paneer with cold water.
- Then press under a heavy object to squeeze out all the water for 30 mins.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil and simmer.
- Mix the semolina into the paneer with the palm of your hand until it is soft and springy.
- Divide into 14 equal balls.
- Add the paneer balls to the boiling syrup and cook for 1 hour or until the syrup is reduced by three-quarters.
- Leave to cool then chill for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in the kewra or rose water just before serving.
- Serve cold as a dessert.
Recipe courtesy of Shilpa