• 2 Raw banana (cut into two, boiled with salt, peeled and cut into small cubes)
• 2 medium-sized onions, cut into small pieces
• 3 to 4 Green chillies
• 1/2 tsp – cumin
• 4 peeled Garlic pods
• 1/2-inch – piece of Ginger
• 2 tbsp – oil
• 10 curry Patta leaves
• 1 tsp – chopped, coriander, (optional)
• 2 tbsp – chopped fresh Methi leaves
• Turmeric powder, a pinch
• Asafetida, a pinch (optional)
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1 tsp – split Urad Dal
- Grind green chillies, ginger, cumin and garlic into a coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, urad dal and fry till seeds crackle and dal changes color.
- Add turmeric powder, onion pieces and a little salt and fry till onions turn soft.
- Add ginger, chilli paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add methi leaves and fry for 2 to 3 minutes till soft.
- Add cubed banana pieces. Mix well, cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes so that banana pieces are well coated with onion methi masala.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander (optional)
- Check salt and serve as side dish with rice/chapathi/poori.
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra