• 1 litre – whole Milk
• 1/2 cup – Sugar
• 1/3 cup – small grain Rice
• 5-7 almonds, blanched
• 5-7 Pistachios
• 1/4 tsp – Cardamom powder
• 8-10 threads Saffron
- Wash rice and soak in plenty of water for 20 minutes.
- Drain water and keep rice aside.
- Chop almonds and pistas, or crush coarsely. Keep aside.
- Dissolve saffron by rubbing it in 2 tsp hot milk and keep aside.
- Heat half the milk, add rice and stir till it boils.
- Reduce heat and allow rice to cook in milk till almost done.
- Add remaining milk, sugar, cardamom, saffron, pistachios and almonds.
- Bring back to boil by stirring gently but continuously.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of jayamahadevan