A creamy and sweet dessert prepared with rice and milk
1/4 cup rice (preferably basmati rice)
5 cups milk
1 teaspoon raisins
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/4 cup shredded and blanched almonds
A few strands of saffron (soaked in little warm milk)
1. Wash and soak rice for half an hour. Drain and keep aside.
2. Boil milk and add drained rice. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
3. In between, keep stirring and scraping sides and bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.
4. When the rice is cooked and the mixture gets a creamy consistency, add sugar and cook until sugar gets dissolved.
5. Now add cardamom powder, saffron and shredded almonds.
6. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and remove from heat.
7. Serve hot or chilled.
Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours