Sambar powder is a must have spice in a South Indian Sambar which is made by grinding andamp; mixing different Indian spices like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, red chillies, turmeric powder, cinnamon, chana dal, etc. You can easily find lots of ready made sambar powders in the market but you can easily make you own sambar powder whenever you are preparing to cook sambar or can make it and store it for long. Let’s see how to make sambar powder.
– 1/2 cup pigeon peas (tuvar/arhar dal)
– 1/2 cup husked Bengal gram (chana Dal)
– 1/4 cup husked black gram (urad dal)
– 1/2 cup cumin seeds
– 2 tablespoon black peppercorns
– 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
– 2 1/2 cups coriander seeds
– 1/2 cup curry leaves
– 1 tablespoon oil
– 2 1/2 cups dried red chilies
– 2 tablespoon turmeric powder
How To Make?
1. In a dry frying pan roast all the Ingredients separately, expect oil, chilies and turmeric powder, over a MODERATE heat.
2. Tossing it gently for a few moments. Roast dals till golden a d spices and curry leaves till fragrant.
3. Now, add oil to the same pan and fry chilies, tossing gently, till fragrant.
4. Now, let it cool and combine all Ingredients including turmeric powder and grind to a fine powder.
5. Store in an airtight container and use it as required.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Makes: About 2 Cups