• 1 cup – long grain Rice
• 1 cup – Coconut Milk
• 1 tbsp – broken cashew bits
• 3 green chillies, slit
• 1 stalk Curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp each of cumin and Mustard Seeds
• 1 tsp – Urad Dal
• 2 tbsp – grated fresh Coconut
• 1 tbsp – coriander (chopped)
• 2 tbsp – oil
• salt to taste
• Lemon juice to taste
- Wash and soak rice in salted water for 30 minutes.
- Drain rice in colander, keep aside the water.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan.
- Add urad dal, mustard and cumin seeds, cashews, stir until they pop.
- Add chillies and curry leaves. Stir, add rice.
- Stir very gently, with a wide spatula, till oil coats rice evenly.
- Add coconut milk and 1.5 cups of the reserved water.
- Add salt, keeping in mind the water is already salted.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer covered.
- Stir occasionally. When 3/4 cooked, add lemon juice.
- Mix very gently. Simmer till done and all water evaporates.
- Add more water in between if the rice needs it.
- Garnish with coriander and coconut before serving.
- Serve hot with raita, kadhi or rasam.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi