• 2 tsp – gelatine or Lemon jelly 1/2 packet
• 2.5 cups – water
• 2 cups – mixed shredded or grated firm vegetables eg. carrot, cabbage, Celery etc.
• 1 green chilli, chopped fine
• 2-3 springs Mint leaves, chopped
• 1 Cucumber slices, for decorating
• 1 Tomato slices, for decorating
• salt, sugar, pepper (freshly ground to taste)
- Prepare the jelly in regular way.
- If using gelatine take 1/2 cup water in a small heavy crucible.
- Sprinkle gel on it. Allow to soak as it is for 5 mins.
- Now hold the crucible over very low flame or indirectly and stir gradually, till all the gelatine dissolves and the liquid is clear. Do not allow to boil.
- Add to the remaining water and stir well till clear.
- Set in a rinsed wet glass bowl or jelly mould.
- Mix all other ingredients and toss together except cucumber and tomato slices.
- When the jelly or gel is thick but unset, add the prepared salad and stir in gently.
- Set till firm.
- Just before serving, unmould by dipping the bowl in hot water for a few seconds and invert on plate.
- Decorate ring and top of the mould with cucumber, tomato and coriander sprig.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering