Shepherd’s pie is a classic British recipe made with beef. You can make shepherd’s pie with lamb or mutton. As shepherd’s pie is basically an American recipe, Americans cooked it with meat and vegetables, topped with some baked and mashed potatoes. Let’s see how to cook shepherd’s pie.
Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
Servings: 6 to 8 Person
– 4 large potatoes (approx. 1 kg)
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1 kg minced beef
– 1 chopped onion
– 2 tablespoons gravy powder
– 420 gm minestrone soup
– 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 chopped tomato
– 2 tablespoons parsley
– 60 gm grated chedder cheese
How To Cook?
1. Peel and cut potatoes into 2.5 cm cubes and place in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water; cover it and cook for 12 to 14 mints on HIGH flame or until tender. Stir halfway through cooking. Drain.
2. Mash potatoes and add butter, milk, chives, salt and pepper until it forms a smooth consistency.
3. In a large bowl, combine mince and onion and cook for 10 to 12 mints on MEDIUM HIGH flame, stirring every 2 mints. Drain juices from meat.
Step 4 : Add gravy powder, minestrone soup, Worcestershire sauce, tomato and parsley and mix it well.
5. Spoon mixture into a 25×20 cm rectangular dish.
Step 6 : Spread mashed potato evenly over top of mixture. Sprinkle cheese on the top.
7. Cook for more 20 to 22 mints on MEDIUM HIGH flame.
8. Allow to stand covered with foil for 10 mints before serving.