• Rice – 1 cup
• Green gram dal – 1 cup (not the whole one but the broken one)
• Jaggery – 1 to 1.5 cup (according to your taste)
• Ghee – 2 tbsp
• Cashew (broken), Raisin – 1 tbsp each
- Cook rice and dal together till they are well done.
- Put jaggery in a kadai with 2 tbsp of water and let it melt.
- After it melts, you can filter the liquid using a fine sieve if needed.
- Add rice and dal mixture to the jaggery and cook stirring continuously.
- Add ghee little by little and cook till the mixture thickens to be of the consistency of khichdi.
- Take it off the heat.
- Fry cashew and raisins in a little ghee and add to the pongal.
- Mix well and serve hot or cold.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi