• 1 cup Rice
• 1cup Toor Dal (washed)
• 1/4cup moong dal – without the skin (washed)
• 3 cup vegetables (all or combination of beans, carrots, peas, eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes)
• 2 tbsp bottled Tamarind sauce or juice of fresh Tamarind
• 1 tsp Ginger powder
• 1/4 tsp allspice
• 1 tsp Turmeric (more depending on your desired colour)
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 3 sticks 1″ Cinnamon sticks
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 3 red dried chillies (substitute with fresh Green chillies if needed)
• 1/4 cup regular or green Onion
• Oil to saute vegetables
• salt to taste
- Chop vegetables into 1″ pieces so that they won’t get mashed.
- On medium heat, in a medium sized pot fill with water covering 3/4 the volume of the pot.
- Put in both dal, tamarind, turmeric, salt and cook for 15 mins.
- Then add rice and let cook until both dal and rice look 98% done.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan on medium heat place some oil.
- In heated oil, place the chillies, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and let splutter for about 10 seconds (make sure it doesn’t burn).
- Add onions and let it brown lightly.
- Add vegetables and chilli powder and saute until half done (about 10 mins).
- Transfer the veggies into the 98% done dal and rice mixture and let cook for 5 mins.
- Turn off flame.
- Add ginger powder and all-spice and cover for 5 mins.
- Remove lid and let settle for a bit before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Ranjeeta Singh