• 1 cup – all purpose flour (maida)
• 1 cup – shortening
• 1 cup – Sugar
• 1 tsp – baking powder
• Cashew nuts
- Sieve all purpose flour with baking powder and keep it aside.
- Mix shortening and sugar in a container. Mix it very well with hand or with the hand mixer until it becomes lighter in weight and the sugar is mixed with shortening.
- Add this mixture with all purpose flour and make a smooth dough (if needed add water).
- Make small round rolls with dough.
- Put rolls between your palms and apply very light pressure on it.
- Sprinkle some chopped dry nuts on top of it.
- For baking:
- Pre-heat the oven at 350 F.
- Cover the baking tray with aluminium foil.
- Apply some butter on the foil.
- Place rolls on it leaving some space between them.
- Bake it for 20-30 mins.
- Turn off the heat and cool the naan khatai on cooling tray.
- Serve hot or at room temperature depending upon the taste.
- Note: Dough may be made hours ahead, and stored in room temperature.
- Instead of shortening, you can use desk ghee or dada ghee.
Recipe courtesy of Bharti Agarwal