• 1×9″ – Sponge cake (it should be only 1/2″ high) line this on a 9″ pie plate, soak it all over with rum or sherry
• For the filling:
• 1.5 cups – Milk
• 2 – eggs
• 2 tsp – Instant coffee
• Pinch of Cream of tartar
• 1 tbsp – Rum Cream
• Walnuts and chocolate curls for decoration
• 1/2 cup – Sugar
• 2 tbsp – Castor Sugar
- Beat egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until light and creamy, add salt and coffee, stir in warm milk and gelatin (soaked in 1/4 cup cold water).
- Cook all this over low heat until the mixture is thick, do not boil, remove and cool, add vanilla and rum.
- Chill until partially set.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff, add 2 tbsp castor sugar and fold this in the coffee mixture with slightly whipped 1 cup cream.
- Pour all in the sponge lined dish, chill.
- Decorate with cream, walnuts and chocolate curls.