• Fish – 1/2 kg
• Coconut grated – 2 cups
• Onion sliced- 1.5 cups
• Green Chillies, slit – 12
• Ginger cut into long pieces – 1 tsp
• Garlic slit – 1 tsp
• Tomato cut roundels – 2
• Coconut Oil – 4 tbsp
• Small Onion chopped small- 1 tbsp
• Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
• Fenugreek – 1 tsp
• Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Add 1/2 a cup water to the grated coconut.
- Grind it in the mixie and extract the coconut milk. This is called thalapal.
- Add 1 more cup of water to the same coconut, so that the extracted second milk comes to 3 cups.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized kadai. Splutter mustard seeds and then fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped small onions and fry till golden brown.
- Now add a little second milk to the masala ingredients, mix well and add to the kadai.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 mins, then add ginger, green chillies, garlic, chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Saute this well and add salt.
- When it boils, add the fish pieces, cover the kadai with the lid.
- When the fish is cooked and gravy thickens, add the thalapal and heat on low flame.
- Shake the kadai well (don’t stir lest you break the fish pieces).
- Do not allow it to boil too much, after adding the milk.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi