• 0.5 kg string beans
• 1.5 cups grated Coconut
• 4 cm round lump Tamarind
• 2 tsps Jaggery powder
• 6 to 8 dry Red Chillies
• 2 tsps Coriander seeds
• salt to taste
• 2 tsps oil
• For seasoning: 0.5 cup onion, chopped
• 2 dry red chillies, broken into pieces
• 2 tsps garlic, minced
• 1 tsp mustard
• 2 tbsps oil
- Soak tamarind in 0.5 cups of water and extract the juice.
- Cut string beans into 3 cm long pieces.
- Add about 2 cups of water and salt.
- Cook till soft.
- Add tamarind extract and salt and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast red chillies, coriander seeds in 2 tsps of oil and grind with coconut to a fine paste.
- Add the ground paste to string beans, allow it to simmer for 3 minutes and remove it from the fire.
- Heat the oil for seasoning and add mustard.
- When it splutters, add dry chillies and garlic.
- When the garlic is fragrant, add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add the seasoning to the curry.
- Mix well and serve hot with steamed rice.
Recipe courtesy of Chandra Bhatt