• 250 g- big yellow chilies
• 1 cup- cooked mashed Potato
• 1 tsp- cumin powder
• little Asafoetida
• Lime juice to taste
• 2 tbsp- coriander leaves, chopped
• 1.5 cup- besan
• 1/2 cup- Rice flour
• 1/2 tsp- carom seeds (omam, ajwain)
• 1/2 tsp- cooking soda
• oil to fry
• salt to taste
- Slit the chilies along its length, keeping both the ends intact. Remove the seeds and the ribs.
- Mixed mashed potato with salt, cumin powder, asafetida, lime juice and coriander leaves. Stuff the chilies with this mixture.
- Mix besan, rice flour, salt carom seeds and soda.
- Add enough water make coating batter.
- Dip chilies in this batter and deep fry in moderately hot oil for 2 minutes and remove.
- At this stage not much batter will stick to the chilies and they will be only partially cooked.
- Let them cool till they are just warm.
- Dip them again in batter and fry till golden brown. Serve hot.
Recipe courtesy of Chandra Bhat