• 200 gm – mawa (khoya)
• 100 gm – Sugar
• 1/2 tsp – Cardamom powder
• few strands – Saffron
• For the stuffing:
• 8 tbsp – cashew, Almond and Pistachio powder
• 2 tbsp – Sugar
• 1 pinch -cardamom, Nutmeg and Saffron paste
- For the peda:
- Heat, mawa on a low flame, add sugar to the mawa.
- When sufficiently thick, add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and the paste of saffron.
- Mix well and allow it to cool.
- Knead the mawa well.
- Form pedas.
- For the stuffing:
- Mix the sugar and water. Boil and prepare a thick syrup.
- Add the paste of saffron, cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Add all the powdered dry fruits.
- Mix well. Cool and form small balls.
- Press the pedas between the palms.
- Place the dry fruit ball in the centre of flattened peda, roll on palm and form a bigger ball.
- Sprinkle slices of almond and pistachio on top of pedas.
- To make saffron paste:
- Soak a few strands of saffron in a tbsp of water or milk for about 5 mins.
- Grind with a metal or stone pestle.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja