• 1 box – katafi (shredded phyllo pastry or dough)
• 4 cups – Sugar
• 2 cups – water
• Finely Ground Powder:
- Make 1-strand sugar syrup. Let it cool completely for a few hours.
- Take the katafi out of the box (a little at a time) and cover it with a damp cloth or paper towel.
- Take a few strands at a time and twirl it into a small circle.
- You can arrange them on a tray and cover with a damp cloth.
- Place the twirled katafi in a deep spoon with holes.
- Deep-fry for 30 seconds (please make sure it does not brown).
- Remove the fried circles and stack them up in piles.
- Using your hand, take each circle and dip thoroughly in the sugar syrup.
- Hold it above the container for a minute and let it drain completely.
- Place them in the container that you are going to store it in.
- Sprinkle the pistachio powder over the sutarfeni.
Recipe courtesy of Desai, Kaity