• 2- Medium sized Bitter gourd (karelas)
• 1 cup – Grated Coconut
• 3-4 – Red Chillies 3-4
• 2-3 tsp – Jaggery grated
• 2 tsp – Urad Dal
• 2 tsp – Chana dal
• 1 tsp- Jeera | Mustard Seeds, Hing, Curry leaves for tadka
• 3-4 tsp – Oil
• 1/2 cup – Lemon Juice
• 2 tsp – Tamarind Pulp
• Salt to taste
- Wash and chop karelas and keep in a bowl containing lemon juice and salt for about an hour before cooking to take away the bitter taste.
- Dry roast urad dal, chana dal, red chillies and jeera.
- Add all these ingredients with grated coconut and make masala paste.
- Take oil in a flat bottomed vessel and fry karelas after thoroughly squeezing them dry.
- Once they are fried, add tamarind pulp and jaggery and cook the karelas.
- Add the masala paste while cooking and add water to thin the curry according to the requirement.
- Bring it to boil and season with mustard, curry leaves and hing.
- This tastes great with Rice, Dosa, Adai and even Upma.
Recipe courtesy of Anjali Ramasharan