• 5 tbsp- veg oil
• 3/4 tsp- whole Cumin seeds
• 1 inch stick of Cinnamon
• 2 Bay Leaves
• 6 whole Cardamom pods
• 1/4 tsp- whole peppercorns
• 2 medium sized onions, peeled and finely chopped
• 6-7 Garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
• 1 pound -fresh tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped (tinned can be substituted)
• 1 inch cube – fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 lb- jointed Chicken pieces, skinned
• 1.5 tsp- salt
• 1 tsp- red pepper powder
• 1/2 tsp- Garam Masala
- Heat the oil in a large, wide pot over a medium-high flame.
- When hot, add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves, and pepper corns.
- Stir once and add onion, garlic, and ginger. Stir and let it fry till the onions pick up brown specks.
- Add tomatoes, salt and red pepper powder. Stir-fry for about 2-3 mins till the onions become soft and mushy.
- Add the chicken pieces, stir to mix and bring to a boil.
- Add 1 cup of hot water and pressure cook after for about 15 mins.
- Once the chicken is tender, add garam masala and cook uncovered for about 5 mins to thicken the gravy.
- Serve hot with rice or hot rotis.
Recipe courtesy of Tara Patel