Famous spicy and aromatic Thai red curry, vegetables made in coconut milk and basil
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup red bell peppers, diced
1/4 cup baby corn, sliced
1/2 cup tofu, sliced
1/4 cup sliced carrots
1/4 cup broccoli, florets
1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped roughly
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoon soya sauce
5-6 fresh basil for garnishing
3 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
3-4 whole dry red chilies (soaked in water)
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1 inch piece ginger
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced finely (optionally use coriander stalk)
1. For making the red curry paste, blend together the paste ingredients into a smooth paste. Add little coconut milk if required to blend.
2. Heat oil in a deep frying pan, add coriander seeds and allow it to crackle.
3. Add paste and fry until oil separates.
4. Add coconut milk and red chilli powder and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Then add bell peppers, baby corn, tofu, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms in the pan, add chopped basil leaves, salt.
6. Cover and cook, over low heat, until all the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
7. Add soya sauce and water as required to maintain a thick consistency.
8. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes.
9. Garnish with basil leaves.
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes