1 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup besan (gram flour)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
2 pinch hing (asafoetida)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
2 chopped green chilies
2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoon oil
Oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
1. Mix all ingredients except oil for shallow frying.
2. Using little water at a time knead into a medium soft dough.
3. Divide into balls of equal portions.
4. Roll into thin round chapatis.
5. Place on a hot griddle or tava. Greasing both sides with oil, shallow fry until both sides turn golden brown and thepala is cooked.
6. Repeat for remaining balls.
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes