• Basmati Rice – 1.5 cups
• Tomato puree – 1 tin
• Dry Red Chillies – 3
• Soy sauce – 1 tsp
• Bay Leaf – 1
• Cloves – 2
• Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
• Salt – to taste
- Wash, soak 1.5 cups basmati rice in salted water for 30 mins. Pour one tin tomato puree into a non-stick pan.
- Add 2 cups water, salt, 3 broken dry red chillies and 1 tsp soy sauce.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Add drained rice.
- Bring back to a boil. Add 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves and 1/2-inch stick cinnamon.
- Simmer on low with a loose-fitting lid.
- When done, each grain would separate and all liquid will be absorbed.
- Press a grain to test if done.
- Add 1/2 cup grated cheese and mix well and transfer to a large sheet of aluminium foil.
- Fold corners up to form a packet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degree C for 10 mins.
- Serve hot, with stir-fried vegetables, or a wholesome salad.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering