• 1/2 lb – Onions
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 2 inch piece of cinnamon, broken into little pieces
• 6 – cardamoms, bruised
• 6 – cloves, bruised
• Crushed Dried red chillies or Cayenne Pepper Powder to taste
• 2 tsp – Sugar
• A few Curry leaves
• Salt, to taste
• 2 – 3 tbsp – crushed Maldives fish or 1/4 tsp – shrimp paste (optional)
• 1/4 cup – oil
- Slice the onions thinly in half circles.
- Let the mustard seeds splutter in hot oil. Add the onions along with cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and chillies. Stir occasionally.
- Add salt, sugar, curry leaves and cook under med-low heat till the onion is caramelised.
- If you are using optional seasoning, add it to the pan and cook for a few more minutes.
- Oil may start to show on the side. Cool and store in a dry jar.
- Serve with rotis, dosa, etc.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi