• 250 g – urad dal, without husk (soaked for 3 hrs)
• 500 g – Sugar
• 1/4 tsp – elachi powder
• 1 tbsp – flakes of Badam and Pista
• a pinch – salt
• oil to fry vada
- Prepare sugar syrup of one string consistency with sugar and 1 cup of water, add elachi powder and keep it aside.
- Grind urad dal into a fine but firm paste, using very little water and a pinch of salt.
- Take lemon size ball of ground paste and make vada with a hole in the center. Fry in the oil till light golden brown in colour.
- Drop them in warm sugar syrup, let them soak for 1 hour.
- Serve vada in individual plates after garnishing with flakes of nuts.
- Jaggery can be used in place of sugar. This dish is also called pakam garelu.
Recipe courtesy of Umadevi Ramachandra