Thick round savory crepe, a popular South Indian preparation
3 cups (600 gm) long grain rice
1 cup (200 gm) urad dal (spilt black gram)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
4 green chilies, finely chopped
Oil for shallow frying
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice and urad dal separately and leave overnight to soak well.
2. Next day grind rice and dal separately to a fine paste.
3. Now mix well, add salt and keep overnight to ferment in a warm place.
4. Next day batter is ready to use.
5. Heat a pan and make a round shape with 2 ladle full batter.
6. Grease a flat griddle (tava) with some oil and heat it.
7. When the tava is hot, pour some batter onto the tava.
8. Spread the batter, using circular motions with the ladle, to make a thick circle.
9. Sprinkle onion, tomatoes, chilies and drizzle little oil around the edges.
10. Let it cook over low heat, keep it covered with a plate so that it roasts well.
11. Overturn the uttapam and cook on the other side similarly.
12. When both sides are sufficiently roasted, lift it off the tava.
13. Repeat the process for the rest of the batter.
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes